INDIANA BECOMES RIGHT-TO-WORK STATE
On Wednesday, February 1st, 2012, Indiana Governor Mitch Daniels’ signature on House Enrolled Act 1001 made Indiana the nation’s 23rd right-to-work state – and the first in the Rust Belt. This historic law establishes the legal right for Hoosier employees to decide for themselves whether or not to join or financially support a union and bans the practice of requiring union membership or financial support as a condition of employment.
Indiana’s business climate has traditionally been very favorable to Hoosier businesses however; by not being a right-to-work state, we have been at a competitive disadvantage for both new and existing business growth. From 1970 until 2000, right-to-work states created 1.43 million manufacturing jobs and in that same time period, non right-to-work states lost 2.18 million manufacturing jobs. In addition, construction employment grew an average of 50% faster each year in right-to-work states than in non right-to-work states.
Becoming a right-to-work state puts Indiana at the forefront for business success!
Need other reasons to join the Hoosier business community?
- Rated one of TOP 10 PRO-BUSINESS STATES – a Midwest leader and 10th nationally (Pollina Corporate Top 10 Pro-Business States for 2011)
- BEST IN MIDWEST FOR LOW TAXES – ranked 1st in the Midwest and 10th nationally (Tax Foundation)
- Rank TOP 2 – BEST STATES for Job Growth – ranked 2nd nationally (The Daily Best, Newsweek)
- ONE OF THE NATION’S LOWEST TAX & REGULATION STATES – a Midwest leader and 5th nationally (Enterprising States by the U.S. Chamber of Commerce and National Chamber Foundation)
- Winner of the 2011 GOLD SHOVEL AWARD FOR ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT – awarded the 2011 Gold Shovel Winner (top state) for innovative policies, infrastructure, processes and promotions that attract new employers and investments (Area Development Online)
- Rated TOP STATE FOR BUSINESS – based on site selection consultants’ rankings of state, rated 1st in rail & highway accessibility, 2nd in leading in economic recovery (Area Development Online)
- AAA BOND RATING – BEST IN HISTORY – one of only 9 states with top bond rating from all three major credit rating agencies (Standard & Poor’s)
- A STATE OF PERSONAL & ECONOMIC FREEDOM – Indiana has the third-freest economy in the United States (Mercatus Center, George Mason University)
Let us guide your business to a positive and profitable location in the Hoosier state!
Call Matt Hall or Nick Lawrence at 812.945.0266.
Or email us at MattH@1si.org or NickL@1si.org.
Be in a state of progress!